This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

BrightStarDb supported platforms

Oct 25, 2013 at 5:23 PM
Edited Oct 25, 2013 at 5:23 PM
Hello,
I've seen BrightStarDb supports these plattforms:
•.NET 4.5
•Silverlight 5
•Windows Phone 8
•Windows Store Apps

However I expected to see Xamarin supported platforms in the list. Is BrightStarDb compatible with Android and IPhone though Xamarin?

Another question is there any kind of BrightStarDb service available to rent it in the cloud? Or at least a guide that explains how deploying it in Azure and how to scale it to your needs.

Regards!
Coordinator
Oct 28, 2013 at 8:53 AM
Hi,

Xamarin hasn't been tested yet. The core code does compile under Mono with the appropriate compiler flags and in the source code repository there is a mono directory containing a shellscript to build it. My prority is to get Mono support completed in the 1.5 release (by next month), then I shall probably look at Xamarin iOS and Android support in the 1.6 release timeframe (by Feb next year, though possibly a little earlier depending on other calls on my time)

There isn't any BrightstarDB service in the cloud at the moment. There is some old code relating to Azure in the source repository, but it hasn't been touched in a while and it has diverged quite a bit from the core - it might give you an idea about how we were thinking about the architecture for running on Azure worker and web roles. However, right now I think the best way to run BrightstarDB on Azure would be to run it on an Azure VM - preferably one of the larger ones that give you a good memory size if performance is a concern - horizontal scaling and support for failover is probably the biggest missing critical piece. Graham started work on code for a sharded facade over multiple BrightstarDB servers which would provide a nice solution to both of those things, but work has stalled on that at the moment.

Cheers

Kal
Marked as answer by techquila on 10/29/2013 at 4:41 AM
Oct 28, 2013 at 10:39 AM
Thank you for the detailed info, Kal

I will keep an eye on the evolution of this interesting project.