This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Many broken documentation and website links

Jul 28, 2014 at 6:22 PM
I've just discovered BrightstarDB today, and have attempted to dig up a bunch of information about it, only to find that links to various bits of documentation just lead to 404s. This is slightly inconvenient:
If this is the wrong place to raise these issues, could someone point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance.
Coordinator
Jul 28, 2014 at 9:43 PM
Hi,

Sorry for the confusion and thanks for taking the time to let me know about this. I recently changed over the site from an old server running Wordpress to a GitHub Pages site and I should have fixed up those incoming links.

API documentation - we don't have a home for this any more - the best way to get it is to download the installer from codeplex and install locally. I'll update the links in the README.md file and in the online documentation.

Older blog posts - they all went when we moved off of Wordpress, this was a deliberate decision as much of the content was out of date. I can't fix Google though I guess you can still get to the posts in Google's cache. We are going to be putting up new versions of that content, updated for the latest BrightstarDB release over the coming weeks - although it will take a bit longer, in the end this will be better all round as we get a chance to refresh that old content and you will get content that doesn't use out-of-date API calls!

For now, brightstardb.readthedocs.org and/or downloading the installer from Codeplex is the way to go. TBH if you want to investigate B* the best way is to get the installer and install - if you choose not to register the Windows Service then its completely non-invasive on a Windows machine, even if you do register the service its not going to do much until you connect to it, so installing is not a painful option (cough SQLServer cough). The installer also includes a bunch of samples for Visual Studio and the Polaris tool so that you can interact with B* from a Windows GUI.

Cheers

Kal
Coordinator
Jul 28, 2014 at 10:22 PM
OK, so it turns out we can have a home for the documentation. I've got the latest version of the API docs copied over into the GH pages site. After a bit of malarky with case-sensitive file names (I mean, who calls a file Index.html?), it seems to work OK.

http://brightstardb.com/api/latest/ should get you the API documentation for 1.6.2.