This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Compatibility with report tools

Sep 10, 2014 at 4:34 PM
Does anyone on this list have any leads on what tools could be used to generate reports from "common" reporting tools using B*db storage?

My first instinct was to check out OData but I'm having issues finding a reporting tool for a web application (that could design reports in the browser would be a plus) that actually fully supports OData and not a "custom" version of it.

Let me know, I'm looking to switch but this is my primary show stopper

Thanks,

Karell Ste-Marie
CIO - BrainBank Inc
Coordinator
Sep 10, 2014 at 7:06 PM
Most reporting tools that are able to make HTTP requests should be able to manage converting SPARQL or OData results into reports. With our SPARQL endpoint you are able to ask for results in SPARQL XML format or in CSV or TSV, and the request can be a made as a simple URL with query= and format= parameters. OData can be retrieved as XML (ATOM) or JSON so again shouldn't be hard for a decent reporting tool to handle.

OData is probably an easier thing to teach if you are expecting your users to be able to create ad-hoc queries - especially because you have to define the domain model up-front so it is easier to provide users with a list of classes that they can explore.

AFAIK there is no really nice ad-hoc reporting specifically for SPARQL (though I would be happy to be proved wrong if someone knows of something), but I think with a decent reporting tool you should be able to quite easily create some nice dashboards.

I did a quick google and Jaspersoft and Eclipse BIRT look like possible candidates - though I have to admit that I haven't actually tried either of them (yet).

I would be intrigued to know how you get on, if you get a chance to report back on your findings that would be much appreciated!

Cheers

Kal