This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Brightstar DB Reasoner

Oct 17, 2014 at 10:15 AM
Morning

Does Brightstar DB come with a Reasoner or does it have a alternative tool?

Regards

Michael.
Oct 17, 2014 at 9:34 PM
Hi,

Currently no - I would want to work first on core performance before adding in a reasoner. That said, B* implements SPARQL 1.1 so it should be possible to implement SPIN on top of that. There was some discussion of this on the dotNetRDF mailing list a while ago, but its not something that I think I'll be able to get to in the short/medium term for B*. So, if anyone knows of a SPIN processor implemented in .NET that can run on top of a generic SPARQL 1.1 interface I would be more than happy to take a shot at integrating it!

Cheers

Kal
Nov 20, 2014 at 4:42 PM
Hi,

Although B* doesn't currently provide support for reasoners, is it possible to access a B* triple store from other tools/frameworks, such as dotNetRDF or Jena, in order to utilise their reasoner support?

Thanks in advance,
Leo
Nov 21, 2014 at 8:14 AM
Edited Nov 21, 2014 at 8:22 AM
Hi Leo,

I just answered a question about using B* from DNR over on the Google group...no, don't go there!... I've copied the discussion to this forum (https://brightstardb.codeplex.com/discussions/572717).

To answer your question, I've not tried using B* in conjunction with a reasoner. But it is possible to access and update a B* store from any tool/framework with support for SPARQL 1.1 Query and Update - to do this you would need to have the store accessible via the B* service rather than as an embedded store. This approach definitely works with DNR. I've not tried using Jena.

I'd be really interested to hear if anyone has tried using a reasoner with BrightstarDB and if so how they got on!

Plus if there is some consensus around a choice of reasoner to integrate with I would be happy to take a look at what could be done to make a tighter integration.

Cheers

Kal