File Storage Performance

Dec 1, 2013 at 7:31 AM
Does BrightStarDB store object as single file or it is stored in some sort of container to reduce disk overhead. NTFS performance reduces drastically with too many files. And will BrightStarDB work with ReFS?
Coordinator
Dec 1, 2013 at 3:45 PM
The main indexes are all kept in a single file. There is a separate file for managing the index of long resources and a few other housekeeping files but we don't store large numbers of files in the same directory.

As far as I know BrightstarDB will work with ReFS - there isn't currently any low-level file access code, everything is via the .NET I/IO APIs. So unless MS have broken something there it should work fine.
Mar 31, 2014 at 8:19 AM
I was reading some documentation and I noticed that you are storing schema URL with each data, does it mean you are storing schema URL with each item? Wouldn't that be waste of so much space?
Apr 1, 2014 at 8:37 AM
No because like most RDF stores BrightstarDB uses a dictionary encoding scheme so each unique term is mapped to an internal identifier so even if a URI occurs in the data millions of times the actual URI is stored only once