Are the documentation tutorials broken?

Dec 6, 2013 at 3:38 AM
I was recommended BrightstarDB by a friend and C# programmer as well. After downloading the latest version, I went to read the documentation on how to use it. Everything went fine for the setup, and perhaps a little hiccup in the code that was(hopefully fixed) in the first code exemple after setup.

But, when I went to debug the example code I just typed, this happened:

Since I've never used BrightstarDB prior to the version I currently have installed, I have no idea how to deal with this problem.

I'm currently using Visual Studio Ultimate 2012, since 2013 Express doesn't display the templates, even thought it can NuGet import BrighstarDB.

So, what should I do to make it work?
Dec 6, 2013 at 6:55 AM
Hi,
in web config at connection strings you need to replace type=http with type= rest;
latest docs
Dec 6, 2013 at 7:07 AM
"Embedded" is also supported if you prefer a faster local connection.
Coordinator
Dec 7, 2013 at 12:46 PM
I've taken a look at installer issues on Visual Studio 2013 and a couple of the many different flavours of Express that there are. The good news is that I've extended the installer to support installing the Visual Studio item templates into VS 2013 Professional and above so from 1.5.1 onwards there will be support for VS2013 Professional+ integration. The bad news is that I can't see a way to do this for Express. In fact on my test VM with VS 2013 Express for Windows installed I can't even manually install the .vsi file - it may be that the express editions don't support this functionality.

To be honest though the item templates are only a very tiny convenience thing, they don't do anything special at all and using NuGet to grab BrightstarDB and the text template file is probably the best way to go in 9.9/10 cases. In fact in some ways NuGet is more convenient because it installs all the dependencies you need automatically rather than you having to manually add references to your project.