Creating object trough OData protocol

Feb 25, 2014 at 2:59 PM
Hi everyone, I would like to know if there might be any chance in the future to have the support to the creation of objects using OData protocol and the EntityDataService class.

BTW great product!

Thanks
  • Andrea
Coordinator
Feb 25, 2014 at 3:31 PM
Hi Andrea,

It is something that I would love to do, but it is probably quite a lot of work. My first goal with OData is to replace the current OData query support with one based on a more direct translation of OData to SPARQL. I did some initial work on this a while ago (see https://github.com/BrightstarDB/odata-sparql), but at the time MS were in the process of updating their OData parsers and it made sense to stop and wait for them to complete that. I had hoped to be able to use an open-source OData URL parser library, but it seems that the MS parser is now back under closed-source again. My plan would be to get OData read/query support implemented first, then look at adding in support for update. Ideally I would like to do this as a pure SPARQL/SPARQL Update implementation rather than tying it in directly to BrightstarDB.

However, the primary focus for the next two BrightstarDB releases are away from OData, so it may take a while to get there, of course if I find a paying customer that wants OData support or would like to do OData over SPARQL, its going to get done much faster!

Cheers

Kal